Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Mall Findings with Anxiety

Yesterday the lovely Emilee Garrison came over for a few hours in the morning to watch Liam while I went to the mall. I haven't really shopped for shorts too much this year because I had a few pairs already from last year. Since I am heading to Lake Windemere this weekend, I wanted to see if I could find a few more pairs. As you probably know, most stores are already getting in their back to school lines. It was so hard finding shorts! I did find one pair and a few other things, but not too much. I kept texting my friend Jessie to ask her questions because I feel like I have no fashion sense at all. I have a pretty classic style in clothes so to spice it up sometimes is difficult. I hopefully did okay in my finds, but we will have to get the approval. It's the fine line of looking like a Mom because I am a Mom and then not wanting to look like a Mom. Most girls know what I am talking about.

On another note, yesterday was a hard day for me personally as a Mom. Landon and I were just on each others nerves. He is such a sweet kid, but like most kids, doesn't want to listen to me at times. Then, after we had our "family night" at El Puente, he just lost it. He wanted to ride in the Krenn's van and we kept prompting him at dinner that we would be getting in our car and going home to play. When we got up from the table he immediately started looking for their van and went for it. Instead of Nate letting him go look at their van and letting him see it and stand there for a minute, he just steered him back to our car. We both learned that we just need to let him go and look at their van for a minute and keep explaining to him over and over that they need to go home and we need to go home in our car. Transitions are one of the hardest things Fragile X kiddos deal with. Sometimes Landon does really well with transitions but sometimes like last night, he doesn't. His anxiety gets the best of him and he just melts down. After looking back at my Fragile X conference notes last night, I remembered the description they gave to us about what that feels like. Imagine this. You are standing in a room with three people circled around you. One is shouting your name, the other one is asking for your name, address, social security number, etc., and one is touching you. That is how Landon feels when he goes through his anxiety attacks!! Makes me so sad to think he experiences that on a daily basis because of his Fragile X Syndrome. Today was a new day and he did tremendous. Most days he does very well, but when we have our off days, it's hard. During my time with the Lord this morning, I was reminded of this verse. Lamentations 3:22-23. Because of the LORD'S great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.



1 comment:

  1. Landon is so blessed to have a mommy and daddy that love him so much!

    ReplyDelete