Friday, July 22, 2011

Fragile X Awareness Day

Today is Fragile X Awareness Day. Fragile X Syndrome is the most common cause of inherited mental impairment. This impairment can range from learning disabilities to more severe cognitive or intellectual disabilities. FXS is the most common known cause of autism or "autistic-like" behaviors. Symptoms also can include characteristic physical and behavioral features and delays in speech and language development.

We are blessed with a 5 year old named Landon that has Fragile X Syndrome. He is such a blessing to our family. We wouldn't change him for anything. Landon is higher functioning and is learning all kinds of new tricks. His main delay is speech and language. He has severe apraxia which is motor planning of the mouth. It's all in his head but can't seem to translate to his mouth to speak. We have done intense speech therapy with the best speech therapist in the state. Landon is now talking and not considered non-verbal. Praise the Lord! He is one happy little guy that loves his friends. He would do anything for them. See below for the rest of the story. Tell someone today about Fragile X Syndrome.





3 comments:

  1. Bless you my friend. Psalm 138:3 - When I pray, you answer me; you encourage me by giving me the strength I need. I pray this over you today! Love you my friends!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Emily. You are so kind. Sure do miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete